For CBC’s David Malthouse, ensuring adequate storage is integral to maintaining valuable tools on mining and quarrying sites.
Heavy industrial workshops can often incur a lot of dust and contaminants, and it is important for site managers to understand some of the long-term benefits that good quality tool housings can offer their maintenance and repair departments.
“A good tool housing for the mining and quarrying segments should be indestructible to the elements and the rough and tumble of heavy industry,” says David. “The performance and longevity of tools will depend on how much site managers are willing to invest in quality tool storage. A reliable tool cabinet is a long-term investment in your operation, if you source it from the right supplier.”
The good news is that CBC’s premium partner, SP Tools, has reimagined the traditional big green toolbox with their new range of Sumo Series Roller Cabinets. As units, the Sumos vary in storage capacity and offer different modular top hutch combinations for a more versatile on-site workstation setup.
David believes the tools of heavy industry deserve heavyweight storage solutions, which is why he recommends the SP Tools Sumo Series Roller Cabinets premium grade tool cabinet range.
“The most notable feature of the SP Tools Sumo Series Roller Cabinets is their heavy‑duty quality,” says David. “The walls are double graded steel, constructed from 1.5mm thickness steel — a millimetre greater in thickness than the other standard products on the market.”
“The steel drawers on this unit can hold up to about 120kg in tools that can be removed and treated as an individual kit for workers who need to tow their tools around site,” he elaborates.
According to David, the real beauty of this kit is that it is a true workshop on wheels with all the bells and whistles: multiple power stations for charging and storing cordless tools; portable lighting devices; and condition monitoring and diagnostic equipment.”
“This is an ideal solution for large scale mining operations that have workshops spread across different divisions and require quick turnarounds on repairs,” says David. “Or more specifically, a plant or a refinery where personnel are working on large machines in house and having technicians coming and going.”
David has worked with Aussie owned and operated SP Tools for more than a decade and admits that they have come to be his preferred brand for tools due to the quality of their manufacturing process.
“SP is our preferred hand tool brand in all of our branches, because their quality control is unparalleled,” he says. “Each batch of SP Tools’ Sumo cabinets are tested and re-tested, as opposed to some of the opposition brands that base the quality control of their cabinetry on factory standards.”
Importantly, the high standard of quality testing allows them to provide an exceptional warranty promise to end-users, allowing for confidence in their investment.
“Heavy-duty, durable, and quality construction make this an excellent offering,” concludes David. “But underneath the surface, the strength of the Sumo lies in the versatility and longevity of the cabinet— it truly is an investment that will last a lifetime.”
SP Sumo Series Roller Cabinets Features and Benefits:
- Double wall heavy duty steel wall construction – using 1.5mm (14.5ga) steel as a standard.
- Extra height for more clearance – 1855mm (6’1”)
- On-board power for charging and storing cordless tools, lighting, and diagnostic equipment with a unique on-board magnetic attachment system
- Super duty spring loaded casters that support up to 400kg
- SP Max BBS drawer slides that are rated at 60kg per drawer and 120kg for the wider and deeper drawers
- SP One-Touch Cliklok is a single handed open and release function for securing drawers closed or easy opening
- Ultraviolet (UV) powder coating that combines the advantages of thermosetting powder coatings with those of liquid ultraviolet cure coating technologies
Top Hutch Combination Includes:
- Magnetic mount power board with 4 power outlets and 2 USB ports, ideal for power tools, chargers, etc
- 2 Power board cable access ports
- Steel pegboard rear wall to organise frequently used tools
- 2 Built-in 600mm LED lights
- Fixed full length shelf
- Dual gas strut security panel stays
- Security panel folds away into hutch
- Internal locking system for extra security