Did you know? On a conventional bolted assembly, there is only 15% metal-to-metal contact and the remaining 85% is simply open air?

Conventional mechanical fasteners such as double nuts, spring washers, nylon insert nuts and toothed flange bolts often fail to provide security when up against vibration, thermal expansion, corrosion, bending and torque. A threadlocker on the other hand, is an adhesive solution that effectively “locks” your assembly securely in place, forming a strong bond that ensures load bearing capabilities and seals all gaps. 

Liquid threadlocker was invented in 1953 by a chemistry professor named Vernon K. Krieble who saw a need for a practical adhesive solution that would secure nuts, bolts, and threaded fasteners in place with a bond that was airtight, strong, and flexible. And so, using a complex mix of chemistry and engineering, the LOCTITE® liquid threadlocker was first born. From there, Krieble became the founder of the LOCTITE brand which today is the longest standing manufacturer of threadlocker products in the world. 

With a combined 60 years of expertise, the LOCTITE threadlocker products continue to uphold a tradition of innovation using the latest in adhesive technology. When applied between two mating threads, LOCTITE threadlockers push the air between the threads out as the fastener is tightened. The anaerobic threadlocker resin is high viscosity, shock resistant, and provides an instant, low-pressure sealing solution that cures on metal surfaces, even in an airless environment to form a thermoset plastic that locks threads and joints in place. 

Once applied between two threads, the liquid threadlocker adhesives secure nuts, bolts, and threaded fasteners in place for long lasting adhesive performance.

The results? LOCTITE threadlocking compounds can effectively reduce the impact of costly failures, repairs, maintenance, and downtime.

The advantages of LOCTITE® threadlockers
 • Maintains the clamping force

• Prevents loosening under heavy external loads 

• The elimination of all gaps guarantees a secure threaded connection

• Completely sealed and air-tight

• Prevents leaks and reduces the effects of corrosion

• Engineers and designers can opt for the through hole design over the blind hole design for threaded assemblies 

• All LOCTITE threadlockers have a broad temperature resistance of -65°F to 300°F, while some threadlockers are designed for high temperatures up to 650°F

• One bottle of LOCTITE liquid threadlocker suits nuts and bolts of all sizes

Choosing a LOCTITE® Threadlocker
LOCTITE threadlockers products are available in many different grades to cater to a wide range of jobs, from maintenance and repairs (MRO) to aligning with original equipment (OEM) standards. The different types of threadlockers are colour-coded to help distinguish one from another, but all the bottles are red in colour. The red bottle is a LOCTITE trademark. It’s what visually distinguishes LOCTITE threadlockers from any other brand.

For more information on where to buy genuine LOCTITE® threadlocker products, visit your local Motion Australia — BSC, CBC, or WebsterBSC branch.

Maddie the Miner Hot Tips

Is it an original?
How to verify genuine LOCTITE® threadlocker products

Have you ever questioned whether the Loctite® product you own is genuine? If so, you could be correct! There are many counterfeited threadlocker products available on the global market. 

As a result, LOCTITE has gone to great lengths to ensure customers can identify genuine products by implementing distinctive anti-counterfeit QR codes on product packaging. The micro-texture on the QR code is unique for every authentic bottle. Customers can verify LOCTITE products to make sure they are the real deal by following the following three steps:

Step 1: Scan the QR code on the bottle label

 Step 2: Select “Verify product”

Step 3: Re-scan the QR code on the case (avoid blur, glare) or upload a photo of the label with QR code to verify